How to use geotextile fabric is a key problem in geo environmental engineering. Geotextile fabric is directly used in the form of composite construction element, sometimes it is applied as geotextile package which can be filled with sand or other materials. The geotextile is typically made from high quality polyester staple fiber. BPM geotextiles and related products have many applications including roads, airfields, railroads, embankments, retaining structures, reservoirs, canals, dams, bank protection, coastal engineering. BPM has strict quality management system to ensure its geotextile product to keep finest and uniform quality. We have standard industrial testing equipment to inspect our geotextile product quality in preset procedure. All BPM brand geotextiles had been certificated by the ISO9001, ISO14001, TUV, Soncap, SASO and BV certificates and passed the test of SGS and Intertek etc.
In recent years, geotextile fabric has been widely used in rock engineering, especially in flood control and emergency engineering. The following are the suggestions on how to use geotextile fabric according our geotextile project experiences. We are pleased to share with you.
1.The first step on how to use geotextile fabric is carefully preparation before installation.
The geotextile fabric should be avoided damage before installation. Geotextiles fabric should be piled up in a flat place, no stagnant water. The specifications must be clearly visible. Geotextile fabric must be covered by opaque material to prevent ultraviolet light. The damaged geotextile fabric must be repaired before using. Badly damaged geotextiles cannot be used. Any geotextile fabric exposed to the leaking chemical reagent shall not be allowed to be used on projects.
2.How to connect the geotextile fabric?
- The installation of geotextile is usually done by lap, suture and welding. The width of suture or welding is usually more than 10cm, and the width of lap is usually above 20cm. Long- exposed geotextile fabric shall be welded or sutured.
- All stitching must be carried out continuously (spot stitches are not allowed). Geotextiles must overlap at least 15cm. The small stitch is at least 2.5cm from the edge of the exposed material.The seams are made of resin materials, which are more resistant to chemical damage and UV radiation. If the missing needle is found, it must be re-stitched at both ends. Sutured geotextiles shall be properly protected，avoiding soil. The connection of the geotextile can be divided into natural lap, seam or welding according to the terrain and function. At the bottom of the landfill, if the length of the breach exceeds 10% of the width, the damaged part must be cut off before stitched at both ends.
- Consider the mixed use of the geotextile and geomembrane, the geotextile on the upper layer is connected by stitch or hot jet welding. Hot jet welding is the preferred connection method. Heating the joint with a hot air gun at high temperature, which makes the geotextile to reach the molten state and stick together firmly. In wet weather, the geotextiles shall be connected by stitch. Double – wire stitching was performed with anti – chemical UV suture line. The minimum width at suture is 10cm, natural lap is 20cm, and hot jet welding is 20cm.
3.The most important step on how to use geotextile is installation
- Manual rolling, the surface should be flat. Reserve the deformation allowance is more properly.
- The impermeable geomembrane should be laid upon the geotextiles, approved by field supervision engineer.
- The two layers of geotextiles, that above and below the impermeable geomembrane, should be buried in the anchorage groove together with the impermeable geomembrane.
- The joint must intersect with the slope line and the stitching distance must be greater than 1.5m, when there is stress.
- On the slope, anchoring one ends of the geotextile fabric and release it by gravity, which can keep the geotextile tight.
- Sand bags must be used to cover the geotextile fabric, keeping until the up layer is laid.
4.How about the technological requirements
- Base layer checking. Whether it is flat and solid? If there is foreign matter? Treat it properly in advance.
- Test to install. According to the field situation, determine the size of geotextile fabric accurately before cutting.
- Checking whether the width is suitable and the joint should be smooth and loose.
- The joints of the geotextile should be glued with a hot air gun at suitable position.
- When stitching the joint, the stitching line should be straight and the needle should be even.
- Checking whether the geotextile is laid flat or damaged.
- In case of non-compliant situation, repairing it timely.
5.Tips about self-inspection and repair
- All pieces and seams of geotextile fabric should be inspected after installation. Defective sheets and sutures must be clearly marked and timely repaired.
- It is necessary to repair worn geotextiles by heat connecting geotextile patchs, whose length are at least 200mm longer than defect edges in all directions.The thermal connection shall be strictly controlled to ensure that the patch and geotextiles are closely combined.
- Making sure that all damaged areas have been marked and repaired immediately and whether there is any foreign material that may cause damage to the geotextile fabric no foreign material, such as fine needles or small nails, etc.
6.The last step about how to use geotextile fabric is repairation the damaged part.
- The patches are made from the same material as geotextile fabric.
- In the bottom of the landfill, if the crack width exceeds 10% of the coil, the damaged part of the geotextile should be removed before connected; When happens on the slope, take place the damaged one by new one.
- The working shoes and tools cannot damage the geotextile. No smoking on the geotextiles or do not poke them with sharp tools.
- Checking the appearance to ensure that the geotextile material is in good condition. Do not open the packaging film if not in use.
- The geotextile should be inspected and approved timely when arrived. The code for construction and acceptance of geotextiles should be strictly
BPM had provided many types of high quality geomembranes, geotextile and other geosynthetics to over 36 countries. Our main customers are from Australia, France, Sweden, UK, Hong Kong, Hungary, New Zealand, Poland, Mexico, Ecuador, Brazil, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Sri Lanka, India, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kenya, Ghana, Ethiopia, Somalia, Nigeria, South Africa, Swaziland, Mongolia etc.
BPM is not only fabricating high quality geosynthetics products, but also providing professional design and installation service. OEM and ODM are also available.
If you have any questions or inquiries, please fill and submit the following form, we will reply as soon as possible.